Hotel 23
July 25, 2014, 04:16:29 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Please read the forum rules and then say hi in the introduction section.
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Best Iron Sights for M4  (Read 3435 times)
RayGun19
FNG

View Profile
« on: December 30, 2010, 08:14:47 AM »

I'd like to hear everyone's opinion on what are the BEST iron sights for the M4.  Preferably something that can be had with Tritium.
RAM Engineer
FNG

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 08:25:44 AM »

Fixed or folding?

Will you be using it with an optic?  If yes, red dot or magnified?

Avoid tritium REAR sights on ARs as they are not necessary and screw with your night vision.

For folding BUISes, I've used and liked the following:
TROY front and rear (get the M4 style front sight, not the round HK hood style)

KAC 300 or 600 meter rear

Fixed
Daniel Defense front and rear

Larue Tactical Rear

LMT Rear

All fixed rear BUISes can be improved with the addition of a XS sights/CSAT rear aperture.

Edit:  I forgot to mention the Centurion Arms HK Diopter style sights. I have not used them yet, and I do not know if they come in Tritium, but I've used that STYLE of sight on HKs in the past to good effect. I'm interested in trying a set.

Also:  avoid anything ARMS at all costs!
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 08:31:23 AM by RAM Engineer » Logged
kfeltenberger
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, 09:42:30 AM »

I agree with RAM Engineer except for his comments about ARMS.  I've used them for years and know a lot of others who have as well, and never had a problem.  The one thing I'm not a fan of are plastic BUIS from any manufacturer.

captstix

The other white meat

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2010, 10:15:33 AM »

I have Midways on mine.  Both Folding.  I took the front one off tho and put the old Front sight back on (not sure why, i do that sometimes).  Make sure, when replacing the front sight, to take into account what you are switching out.  eg.  If you take off the front sight & replace it with a gas block, you will need a slightly higher front folding sight to make up for the height difference, compared to an AR that has one long rail going from the rear of the receiver all the way to the gas block, in which case it wouldn't matter.  I don't know if that makes sense to you or not, i'll try to post pics later on if it doesn't.
Shell Games
Vetted Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2010, 11:46:44 AM »

Troy folding rear and fixed FSB.

Assuming you'll be using an optic...

I don't care for fixed rear sights even with red dots (too cluttered). I trust my Aimpoint enough to risk the need to flip it up if needed. Troy makes far and away the best folding sight I've ever seen.

If you're not planning on adding an optic than a fixed Larue, LMT, or DD would be fine. Simply add a front post with tritium (Triji, Mepro, etc).

A fixed FSB has never interfered with various optics I've used (fixed, variable, and non magnified) and it's the most solid way to go.

If you don't have an fixed FSB and are mounting on a gas block or rail up front...

I think DD for fixed front and rear or Troy for folders would be the way I'd go.

RayGun19
FNG

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2010, 10:51:21 AM »

I agree on not having Tritium on the rear sight.  I've not tried that with a rifle, but I can imagine.

I like the Troy Micro Low Profile.  I see no reason to have the sights high above the cheek pad on the stock if you have no carrying handle to deal with.  And they will work fine with optics.  I was hoping to find a quality low profile style.  Thanks for the input.
RAM Engineer
FNG

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2010, 11:31:18 AM »

I would caution AGAINST the low profile Troys on a standard AR flat top.  The AR sight height was chosen for a reason, and that reason was NOT to accommodate a carrying handle.  They are the height they are because of the straight-in-line barrel/recoil system/stock.  The carrying handle was just added since they already had the sights up high where they needed to be.

Take a look at this thread, especially look at pictures of the prototype AR-10 rifles and other historic rifles that have straighline stocks/recoil systems:

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=66902

Bottom line:

1.  Eugene Stoner chose the straight-line recoil system for it's simplicity and its muzzle rise reducing capability

2.  He designed the stock around the recoil/buffer system.

3.  He then put the sights at the correct ergonomic height to account for a straight stock.

4.  The carry handle was then added in order to protect the sights AND the originally top-mounted charging handle.

Don't put the cart before the horse.

Edited to add:  The Troy Micro sights were designed for guns like the HK416, which has a higher Picatinny rail than a standard AR/M4/M16 in order to accommodate it's piston system.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2010, 11:35:16 AM by RAM Engineer » Logged
RayGun19
FNG

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2010, 11:41:08 AM »

Ergonomics are exactly what I'm talking about.  What do you do when the stock/sights are set up for someone with cheek bones an inch below the ones God graced you with?  You can't add a cheek riser to the stock, then you won't be able to charge the weapon.  So either a I "float" my cheek (flesh) on the stock with no weld point, or I can lower the sights.  I'm very open to any ideas on getting a better cheek weld so my sight picture is always repeatable.
RAM Engineer
FNG

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2010, 11:59:03 AM »

Hmmm... I've never met anyone with that problem on an AR before.  If you think the Troy sights will help, then go for it!  I'm very interested in hearing your experiences with them.  It is too bad that they don't offer the AR-style wings on the micro front sights.
Shell Games
Vetted Member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2010, 12:01:24 PM »

Ergonomics are exactly what I'm talking about.  What do you do when the stock/sights are set up for someone with cheek bones an inch below the ones God graced you with?  You can't add a cheek riser to the stock, then you won't be able to charge the weapon.  So either a I "float" my cheek (flesh) on the stock with no weld point, or I can lower the sights.  I'm very open to any ideas on getting a better cheek weld so my sight picture is always repeatable.

It sounds like you should concentrate on getting more of a "chin weld". The platform tends to lend itself more to a "heads up" usage anyway. Unless you're building a precision rifle... In which case the irons probably aren't exactly your primary sighting method.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: