Hotel 23
September 21, 2014, 05:07:00 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Got Facebook?  Check out the Official J.L. Bourne Facebook Page!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Apocalypse WHAT? Scenario; Yellowstone Caldera Go BOOM!  (Read 2136 times)
The Machine
FNG

View Profile
« on: June 28, 2011, 10:29:56 AM »

All,

All Units of measure are rough estimates, so don't quote me. These are liberal estimates (the only thing liberal about me) as well based on studies and documentaries.

Yellowstone National Park is a beautiful place, been there, will be back!
However, it sits on a dormant but growing caldera (volcanic cone) that is 35 Miles x 45 Miles which extends from Wyoming to Idaho. The caldera has been observed to be filling up with magma causing the top of the caldera to measurably rise from 1965 until 2003. In 2003 several new vents opened up which seem to have alleviated the pressure for now...

If this caldera were to go up as described it would explode as what is known as a Super Volcano. It has erupted at least four times in this manner and it has happened every 500 thousand to 600 thousand years. We are now approximately 550 thousand years from the last eruption. We are due for it to happen soon.

This critter is so powerful that it has been documented to have contributed to the last major ice age.

When it decides to blow, everything within 60+ miles or at the end of the numerous river valleys beyond that will be smushed by the pyroclastic flow, hot toxic gas and mountians of ash. It will DIRECTLY and violently affect WA, CA, CO, NV, ID, WY, MT, AZ, NM, among others. It will blow about 240 Cubic Miles of chunks into the atmosphere. This will coat most of North America and Canada in a blanket of ash ranging from miles thick to a couple of inches.

Agriculture will stop. Emergency services will be overwhelmed and a fine sooty irritating ash will cover big parts of the US. This will clog the air intakes of most internal combustion vehicles and generators.  Fault lines and earthquake zones all throughout the West will be affected.

Most important, all the global warming enthusiasts are in for a shock... Global temperatures may drop by enough that a new Ice Age will begin. The ash will enter the atmosphere some 26 miles up which is enough for it to darken the skies and cause sunlight to reflect back into space.

Have at it!

Good Hunting!

The Machine

A society of sheep will in time beget a government of wolves - Bertrand De Jouvenel
AllmannBro

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 12:08:11 PM »

I think I saw this on National Geographic a while back. Could happen tomorrow or in another 50,000 years or never. Would make for a helluva show though!
cbfan1969

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 01:42:28 PM »

I live in Idaho and I don't care if it blows or not fuck it. There is other shit out there to worry about that I think is much more realistic.

I aim to misbehave-Malcolm Reynolds
MikeEllis

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011, 12:42:10 PM »

Actually, from what they had on NatGeo, all but the upper east coast would be under a few feet of ash.

Filling those awkward moments of silence with a solid wall of text.
Wardog_montana

Cry HAVOC, and let slip the Dogs of War!!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2011, 01:28:10 PM »

The ashfall would cover most of the northern hemisphere from what I remember of the described potential. It would go from several feet in the direction of the jetstream which depending on time of year could be anywhere from from due north through east to due south and the blow out against the jet would be as much as 400 miles. Definite chunks from the sky within that zone all the way around. Mount Saint Helens was a pin prick compared to that.
When we stopped at Craters of the Moon in central Idaho a couple years back they said that the hot zone under Yellowstone used to be under there but plate drift had moved the North American plate west and put it under it's current location. When I flew over it yesterday on my way home it was interesting to see the residual cinder cones and ground level pyroclastic flow debris that makes up that area in Idaho.
This possibility and the one of a huge bolide from space are the worst scenarios for survival of all of them presented. They require planning and resources well beyond that of your average prepper or prepper group. Just remember that we sit on a 20-30 mile crust of dross over a molten core of nickel-iron with various other metals filling the gaps.

"...specialization is for insects." Lazarus Long in "Time Enough for Love"
kfeltenberger
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2011, 10:06:14 AM »

How can it contribute to the last ice age which ended about 12-15k years ago if it hasn't erupted in 550k years?

Should this blow, it will be the end of modern civilization as we know it.  The US will be pretty much zeroed out, Canada too.  Europe will last a bit longer, but they'll get it as well, you can see how the Iceland volcano disrupted things and it was but a pipsqueak compared to this.

thrbarr
FNG

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2011, 06:36:14 PM »

My $0.2,  drink as much as possible (booze of course) and screw anything that moves cause it would be my luck I'd be maybe 10 miles from that particular kaboom.

On the other hand if that does happen hopefully I'd be in Alaska so I wouldn't have to worry so much about it, but if I remember right from the estimates done it would just about wipe out all life on earth (something like 90%) inside 2 yrs, so wildlife accustomed to an environment that's very nearly an Ice Age year round and pretty low population density makes for good odds.
carioca

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2011, 11:35:03 AM »

Plan for this PAW is the same as a ZPAW:

Bug in.
Put up the green flag so the block captain knows we are ok.
Help the neighbors, because we'll need to hang together, lest we all hang separately.
MikeEllis

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2011, 07:33:59 AM »

I was thinking of a motorcycle and protective gear.

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSBA2sA4LgrYcvncMbg16JKHYUsUujZiMr-Qeif_sPckdPSwse0&t=1

bootlegga
Journeyman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2011, 12:55:16 PM »

Grin
cbfan1969

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2011, 02:40:36 PM »

did 'nt they do a movie 20 years or so ago about like SCA guys on motorcycles

MikeEllis

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2011, 04:24:30 AM »

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082622/

You might know the author from those "other" films he does, it actually may be Romero's best movie, if you like those counterculture pictures that were around at the time. I actually only caught a few scenes of it as a kid, referenced it somewhere else recently and am about halfway through the film now, so I see if George managed to pull off the ending of the film.

cbfan1969

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2011, 06:30:43 PM »

LOL I did not know Romero directed and wrote it. I was not even sure if I was remembering the right thing it was so long ago, I think I was 9 or 10 when I saw it.

MikeEllis

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2011, 06:19:24 AM »

It's actually a fairly excellent movie, it's too long at 2.5 hours and tends to get preachy like most of his movies, but it's a really nice counterculture movie if that is your bag.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: