Hotel 23
October 01, 2014, 03:11:13 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support this forum by purchasing novels written by J.L. Bourne
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Normal day / daily carry gear  (Read 7467 times)
FloridaOccifer
FNG

View Profile
« on: May 28, 2011, 07:58:34 AM »

So you are out and about on an average day. What is your daily carry gear?

Here is what I carry M-F

kfeltenberger
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 03:26:05 PM »

The police will protect me, therefore I don't carry anything.  In fact, I'm so confident in the police department's abilities, I don't own any of those icky, evil gun things.

Yeah...and if you believe that I have some iconic bridges to sell you, too!

I'm armed when I go out and let's leave it at that.
FrostyEOD
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 03:38:38 PM »

Run, zombies! Oh, wait
I mean shamble! Shamble for your unlives!
Travdaddy

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011, 05:01:14 PM »

my od green glock 23 .40 cal is my main concealed carry cuz it's more compact than my full size XDm .45
however, winter time with a nice big hoodie i can hide the XDm very well.  

got a Fobus Thumb Break left handed for the Glock and a Blackhawk SERPA lvl 2 for the XDm .45

the little walther is for my wifey it's a .22 pink carbon fiber.. nice gun and fun to shoot..  

btw Nice SIG

Ruger LC9 9mm
Glock 23 .40
Springfield XDm .45
Walther P22 .22 Pink carbon fiber  (haha it's the wifey's)
Mossberg 500
Ruger Mini 14 Tactical
FloridaOccifer
FNG

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011, 05:42:22 PM »

the little walther is for my wifey it's a .22 pink carbon fiber.. nice gun and fun to shoot..  

btw Nice SIG

Thanks on the SIG. Great gear BTW.

What was the OTD cost on the .22? I have given the wife a chiefs special but she hates that beast
Neocode
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2011, 06:11:46 PM »

I usually have a pistol and a spare mag, or two on my person.  Always a knife.  Varies from 9mm to .45 ACP, dpending on where I am going, and what I can conceal.

I have a black and grey checkered carbon fiber Walther P22 I bought for my wife.  I paid $330 for it OTD a few years back at Florida Gun Exchange.
Haji
FNG

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2011, 09:50:42 PM »

M-F during the work day, I've got a G19 in a Safariland 529 FBI pancake holster, a G17 mag in a Blackhawk mag pouch (it's got a clip rather than a belt loop, so it's easy on and off) typically a Spyderco Endura full serrated (tip down) and a Surefire E2D LED, a jar of Carmex, a Swiss Army Classic, an Eagle wallet and an Eagle binnis card holder, a Rite in the Rain notebook and a SnW tactical pen. Also my keys.

Ohh, for God's sake! He's got an arm off!
Travdaddy

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2011, 12:50:14 PM »

btw Nice SIG

Thanks on the SIG. Great gear BTW.

What was the OTD cost on the .22? I have given the wife a chiefs special but she hates that beast

i paid 347.75 out the door with tax and all.  its her first gun she's ever owned and fired so it's a great little starter gun with a decent pricetag... plus she has some sick fascination with pink

Ruger LC9 9mm
Glock 23 .40
Springfield XDm .45
Walther P22 .22 Pink carbon fiber  (haha it's the wifey's)
Mossberg 500
Ruger Mini 14 Tactical
FloridaOccifer
FNG

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2011, 01:33:53 PM »

... plus she has some sick fascination with pink

Dont they all?
ThatJoshuaDude
Vetted Member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2011, 07:24:31 PM »

I cannot wait to be able to carry a handgun. Damn state of Florida bastardizing my second amendment right with some kind of permission slip, that even when I have, I have to hide the fact that I am carrying. Where's the deterrence factor?
 Angry
kfeltenberger
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2011, 08:27:43 PM »

I cannot wait to be able to carry a handgun. Damn state of Florida bastardizing my second amendment right with some kind of permission slip, that even when I have, I have to hide the fact that I am carrying. Where's the deterrence factor?
 Angry

There's a reason it's called "concealed" carry.  Carrying concealed works to your advantage because the bad guys don't know you're armed.  That gives you time and time gives you options.  Let's look at a basic scenario...

You're out shopping and run into the convenience store for a gallon of milk.  You're walking to the counter, or at the counter, and the bad guy pulls a gun and starts waving it around making a threatening asshole out of himself.  If you were visibly armed, there's a high probability that he'd simply have come up behind you and put a round into you to start things off.  If you're carrying concealed, then you can either play observant witness for the police when they come or, if you believe you are in peril of grave bodily harm or have decided to act on behalf of another who is in peril of grave bodily harm, and AOJP has been met, you can then use the fact that no one knows you're armed to your advantage.

Given the option, the first time the bad guy would know I'm armed is when a pair of 124 grain slugs perforate him at about 1200 feet per second. 
Wardog_montana

Cry HAVOC, and let slip the Dogs of War!!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2011, 08:32:23 PM »

Angry

There's a reason it's called "concealed" carry.  Carrying concealed works to your advantage because the bad guys don't know you're armed.  That gives you time and time gives you options.  Let's look at a basic scenario...

You're out shopping and run into the convenience store for a gallon of milk.  You're walking to the counter, or at the counter, and the bad guy pulls a gun and starts waving it around making a threatening asshole out of himself.  If you were visibly armed, there's a high probability that he'd simply have come up behind you and put a round into you to start things off.  If you're carrying concealed, then you can either play observant witness for the police when they come or, if you believe you are in peril of grave bodily harm or have decided to act on behalf of another who is in peril of grave bodily harm, and AOJP has been met, you can then use the fact that no one knows you're armed to your advantage.

Given the option, the first time the bad guy would know I'm armed is when a pair of 124 grain slugs perforate him at about 1200 feet per second. 
Deterrence factor comes into play when the word gets out that many folks are taking advantage of the "shall issue" rules of your home state. Criminals get nervous about that sort of thing. Of course, if the convenience store you are in is filled with a bunch of open carry folks then the robber is likely to rethink his career path for a bit - or not. Grin

"...specialization is for insects." Lazarus Long in "Time Enough for Love"
kfeltenberger
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2011, 08:41:44 PM »

Deterrence factor comes into play when the word gets out that many folks are taking advantage of the "shall issue" rules of your home state. Criminals get nervous about that sort of thing. Of course, if the convenience store you are in is filled with a bunch of open carry folks then the robber is likely to rethink his career path for a bit - or not. Grin

No doubt, Wardog!

Shall Issue and Constitutional Carry laws have shown that when adopted the crime rate does go down (John Lott has an excellent analysis of this and the crime statistics support it).  I'm leery of open carry until the people who don't are the ones who draw attention.  Until then, and in most circumstances, open carry is going to put a target on your back that will be aimed in on by both the bad guys and the cops - though the cops will probably only harass you rather than kill you...
ThatJoshuaDude
Vetted Member

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2011, 08:51:52 PM »

Yeah well my rights are still bastardized. hahahaha.

I see it from both angles, I actually wrote an argumentative essay that was pro open carry for my english class last semester (i got an A  Cheesy) I could email it if anyone would like to read it.. if not no hard feelings

Kfelt in your scenario I have to say that you're right.. Although I do agree with Wardog

What makes open carry effective though is that a criminal is much less likely to victimize someone with a handgun visible, or even someone who is near someone open carrying.
kfeltenberger
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2011, 08:58:30 PM »

Yeah well my rights are still bastardized. hahahaha.

I see it from both angles, I actually wrote an argumentative essay that was pro open carry for my english class last semester (i got an A  Cheesy) I could email it if anyone would like to read it.. if not no hard feelings

Kfelt in your scenario I have to say that you're right.. Although I do agree with Wardog

What makes open carry effective though is that a criminal is much less likely to victimize someone with a handgun visible, or even someone who is near someone open carrying.

I'd love to read the essay.

As for open vs. concealed, one of my instructors has a mantra that he's fond of stating in class and then demonstrating to prove his point:  I'm just one broken armed asshole away from having a gun.  Now, he never breaks anyone's arm in class, but the point is that just because *you* have a gun doesn't mean that it can't be taken from you.  The chances of this happening climb dramatically when the bad guy knows you're armed and before he initiates hostilities.  Remember, you're not likely to know who the bad guy is going to be.  True, you should have a plan to take down everyone you meet should it be required, but there's something to be said for striking from surprise...and that goes for the bad guy as well as the good guy.

Kurt
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: